Re: darkroom waste water

Sil Horwitz (silh@iag.net)
Fri, 28 May 1999 16:33:21 -0400

At 99/05/28 03:51 PM -0400, Judi wrote:

>Each year at Photo Expo I seem to see more comprehensive water
>cleaning/recycling systems at lower prices. I don't know enough to judge
>(understatement) but I got the impression that for about $5000 you could
>get something that would handle effluent from a small darkroom easily.

It's interesting to note that on the Kodak MSDS pages, almost all of the common
chemicals we use note under "disposal" that flushing down the drain with
adequate water is satisfactory. We're talking small darkrooms here, not
commercial establishments which require adherence to governmental requirements.

BTW, with regard to something you stated previously, combining ammonia water
with vinegar is harmless, resulting in a neutralized solution of ammonium
acetate. It's important to know what these things do, instead of guessing.

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
silh@iag.net
Visit http://www.psa-photo.org/