Re: precoated pl-pd

Keith Schreiber (jkschreiber@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 28 May 1999 20:28:59 -0700

Well Jeff, I have seen good prints on Palladio paper and I've even made a
few myself. Several years ago a friend gave me a part of a package of
Palladio to try out. It was already cut into 5x6 inch pieces so I printed up
a small edition of a single 4x5 negative. I thought it was pretty good. I
may still have one or 2. If I find 'em I'll send you one. I hope you won't
be too hard on me. :-}

This might also be a good time to point out that very few if any of the
seccessionist/pictorialist types and others making Pt/Pd prints 100 years
ago (Stieglitz, Strand, White, Brigman, Kasebier, Evans, Weston, etc.) were
hand-coating their paper. It wasn't until after the commercially made papers
were no longer available that hand-coating became a necessity for those who
wished to continue working in Pt/Pd.

Personally, not coating my own paper would take all the fun out of the
process. And while I think Palladio makes a good product it is rather
expensive. If I want to spend more on materials, I'd rather it be on exotic
papers.

And Judy - one more little thing: regarding abbreviations for platinum and
palladium, *Pt* is the correct chemical abreviation for platinum and *Pd*
for palladium. This only matters because because I've seen some folks on the
list use "pl" to mean platinum while others use it to mean palladium.
Usually what is meant can be understood from the context, but this could be
a source of confusion for novices.

Regards to all,
Keith