Re: precoated pl-pd

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Sat, 29 May 1999 08:58 +0100 (BST)

> > It is quite interesting that the modern staunch Pt/Pd printers would
> > be so
> > anti-precoated papers
>
> Please, don't group us all together. I, too have used Palladio paper
> in the past with very good results. As others have stated, I prefer
> the control and economy afforded by hand-coating, but to state that
> Palladio paper is "garbage" is both wrong and unfair. I've seen many
> more bad hand-coated pt/pd prints than bad Palladio prints, does that
> mean all hand-coated prints are garbage??
>
> Please...
>
> Kerik
> www.Kerik.com
>
> p.s. If anyone is considering trying Palladio, let me recommend you
> try it with Potassium Oxalate developer. I much preferred the color
> and tonality of Palladio in PO rather than the Palladio citrate
> developer. Warmer color and smoother tones.

I've also used Palladio - still have at least one print using it hanging
on my wall which regularly draws appreciative comments from visitors. I
also wrote a review of it for the BJP (British Journal of Photography) the
bottom line of which was I think that if you could live with the single
surface that was then available there was little need to coat your own
paper - you could follow in the footsteps of the great platinum printers
who used pre-coated paper.

I think I also stressed the need to carefully follow the directions about
humidifying the paper that (at least then) came with it. If anyone has
used it and been disappointed this - apart from unsatisfactory negatives -
is the most likely cause of failure.

I did some comparison prints at the time using single and double
hand-coated paper and Palladio and the same negative. I won't say these
were in any way conclusive or scientific, but both the double-coated and
the Palladio print seemed superior to the single-coat. The differences
between the two better prints were more a matter of taste than quality.

If the product is still the same I'd recommend it to any beginner in Pd/Pt
 printing if only for the clear directions as to how to make suitable
negatives.

Peter Marshall
London's Industrial Heritage: http://www.cix.co.uk/~petermarshall
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/