Re: Platinum Image migration

John Rudiak (wizard@laplaza.org)
Mon, 31 May 1999 10:50:22 -0600

While the platinum itself is inert, probably its most valuable property is its
function as a catalyst, which is an agent which enables reactions to occur at
lower energy levels without itself being affected by the reaction. The print
in your example is most probably causing a reaction in compounds in the paper
the folder is made of, which is likely of lower purity than the paper the print
is made on.

As an interesting aside, this characteristic makes it arguable that the gold
print, not having nearly as strong a catalytic capability, is the most
permanent work on paper, not the platinum print.

John Rudiak
http://www.johnrudiak.com