Re: Deionized Ossein vs. Knox

Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Thu, 03 Jun 1999 15:04:05 -0400

As far as I can determine there are no benfits to using deionized ossein
over a porcine skin gelatin like Knox unflavored food gelatin for carbon
printing. I have used them both with good results. In any event, you can
actually buy both types of gelatin from Kind and Knox in large quantities,
bone (ossein)and porcine skin.

sensitivity, I think there is none. However, since viscosity must also be
taken into account (since this significantly affects how fast and at what
temperature a carbon print clears on warm water development) the question
,is a little more complicated than at first glance. Still, as I have said
before it is primarily the strength of the dichromate sensitzer that
determines sensitivity in colloid printing, not the type or strength of the
colloid, be it gum, fish blue, albumen, or gelatin. Although some of the
gum printers don't buy this it is clearly demonstrable with a little
careful testing.

Of course, if you are actually using the gelatin to coat carbon tissue the
bloom has to be carefully considered with relation to the temperature of
the room where you will coat. A 10% gelation solution made from a mid to
high bloom gelatin (175-300) will set at a given temperature much more
rapidly than a 10% solution made from a 100 bloom gelatin. But if you
dilute the mid to high bloom gelatin to a 6-8% solution it will behave
essentially the same as the 100 bloom gelatin at 10% solution.

Sandy King