Re: Step Wedge Nomenclature

FotoDave@aol.com
Thu, 03 Jun 1999 16:05:28 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 6/3/99 11:55:35 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
roncalder@recyclermail.com writes:

> When discussing for instance the "highlights" is this always the light area
> whether it is a neg or positive? Or does "highlights" always refer to the
> highlights that would be in a final positive?

Usually it refers to the highlights of the final positive, which are the
highlights of the original scenes.

> I ask this because I'm having trouble getting highlight in my litho film
> using my Stouffer's step wedge usually from numbers 10-21. My negs have no
> seperation in that range. In this case I'm refering to these steps as
> highlights since I'm using the wedge as a negative.

I don't know what lith film you are using, but the Freestyle APH film has
about 8-10 steps, which is what you are getting. This is the characteristic
of the film if you process it "normally" with diluted developer. If you need
more range, you can use extremely low-contrast developer to expand the range.

My article in the Journal of Post-Factory Photography issue #2 includes a
formula for low contrast developer. I don't really mind posting the formula,
but you really need to read the article (and some related articles on
agitation, etc.) to use it successfully.

Dave S