Re: Chlorine in tap water

Sil Horwitz (silh@iag.net)
Sat, 05 Jun 1999 16:57:49 -0400

At 99/06/05 12:22 PM -0400, you wrote:
>Could using a a de-chlorinator (available in pet shops that have aquarium
>supplies) work, or is there some reason it won't? When I've had to
>de-chlorinate my fish tanks (when adding fresh water), I've used the
>de-chlorinators or, if I plan ahead (not my strong suit), I let the water sit
>uncovered in a bucket (large surface area) for 24 hours to let the chlorine
>evaporate from the water. Maybe this will help?

Some dechlorinators used for aquariums include hypo, something you definitely
do not want! The best way to remove the chlorine is to boil it out, and then
store it. This not only removes the chlorine, but also precipitates some of the
minerals that may be held in the tap water. Don't use chemicals to clear up tap
water - not even water softeners, which merely substitute sodium for calcium,
and that can be wicked when used to prepare some formulas.

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
silh@iag.net
Visit http://www.psa-photo.org/