Re: What does amidol do?

Ken Sinclair (photo1@telusplanet.net)
Sat, 05 Jun 1999 17:44:52 -0600

Lukas
The appropriate amount of amidol (2,4-diaminophenol) recommended for use
with PMK, is in the region of 0.05 to 0.1 g/litre. Anything over that
recommended amount will cause increased fog levels. I doubt that 0.07g/l
would produce enormous amounts of any "invisible" gas.

While my use of amidol goes back to about 40 years ago ... used primarily
as a print developer, I gave it up when the price went too high as the
amount of oxidation in the container increased and the difficulty of
acquisition became greater. If I could get an easy and affordable supply, I
would gladly go back to contact printing large format negatives on Kodak's
Azo paper.

I would doubt the addition of amidol would make film processing any
cheaper, although the increased EI (+/- 1/2 stop) might in some rare times,
make it worth the effort

>>>You need to elaborate on this some more. What is this "invisible gas" that
>>>"gets under the eyelids" ???????????
>>>
>SNIP
>
>I just got some amidol which I want to use with pyro in tray developement.
>I am therefore also somewhat concerned about the "invisible gas", because I
>cherish my eyesight. Hutchings mentions nothing of this. Can somebody
>elaborate it?
>Lukas

[||/\/\/\/\/\/\|| Ken Sinclair RBP, FBPA
[|| ||-| Applied Photographic Services
[|| || | Lethbridge,
[|| || | Alberta, Canada,
[|| ||-| (403) 381-1654.