Re: Problems printing Ziatype

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 07 Jun 1999 22:01:45 -0400

Nash Computer Technology wrote:
> ... last week I
> bought some Arches HOT paper...
> I printed one print, which came out fine, but then I thought that I would
> change the chemical mix by adding more Sodium Tungstate than I've used
> before. The resultant print looked awful - it was mottled all over,... almost as though the grain had gone huge.
> ... "reticulation" of a negative in the flesh, this was
> the word that sprang to mind when I saw the print.

If this "reticulated" look looks somewhat like a galvanized appearance,
this is similar to a problem with the new acid-free process Strathmore
500 drawing paper. In that case it was indeed the sizing that was the
culprit. (A new sizing had been used with their new process.) So as
suggested by others, the sizing is probably suspect in this case.
Solution - use another paper.

It is however interesting that this only occurs with the Sodium
Tungstate. WHY? Have you repeated (without the Sodium Tungstate) as
you said this originally gave a print which "came out fine"? Or does
this still give some mottled appearance?

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/