Re: Platinum inkjet

Kenneth L. Carney (kcarney@nstar.net)
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:05:16 -0500

Jack:

I'll try, though I'm pretty much in the early stages. First of all, the
prints are b&w. In the quadtone, each color prints a different shade of
gray. For example, in the Epson EX 5-color cartridge, the yellow chamber
is filled with 50% black, the light magenta is 45% black, magenta is 50%
black, light cyan is 15% black and cyan is 25%. I think I've got that
right -I keep it posted on the bench where the cartridges are filled. So,
a Photoshop quadtone would lay down the inks, in my case, in the following
order: black, magenta, yellow and lime green. The printer will think it is
printing in color, assigning the black inks to mix these "colors". It
seems to work OK when the transfer curves for each color are adjusted by
trial and error. On screen, the print looks pretty goofy -strange colors
and way too light. I gang up smaller prints on Pagemaker and adjust the
transfer curves by trial and error for each print.

The Epson inks are really good, but...they will not last in display
conditions. I think the Epson inks would be better for making negatives
for contact printing on the Epson. If you like, I could email you a couple
of quadtone images scanned from the MIS/Concorde print. They are small jpg
files, 25-30K.