Re: silver-mirror printing and more

Wayde Allen (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 14:28:28 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, John Upton wrote:

> In the July/August 1999 issue of Photo Techniques (page 11) there is an update
> of the original silver mirror printing article. Mr. Jolly acknowledges that
> some had problems with the original procedure.

Yes I've seen it. However, I believe he only updated the procedures for
the silver mirror rather than the Chromoskedasic printing.

To answer the other guys question about how this compares to "normal"
Sabattier printing, it simply seems to be a different process. That is
why he called it "pseudo-solarization". The chromoskedasic process
generates various colors in the print whereas I don't believe that that
happens with the normal Sabattier process. Judy can correct me
on that one if I'm wrong.

One thing I'd like to see would be a breakdown of the chemistry involved
with the Chromoskedasic printing. Both the Scientific American and Dr.
Jolly's articles simply use the chemicals based on empirical studies. If
nothing else, it would be nice to know what the ingredients in the two
Kodak products used actually cause this effect.

- Wayde
  (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)