Re: gelatin

Wayde Allen (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 14:48:59 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, THIERRY DONNAY wrote:

> What's the best gelatin for carbo print? 120 /180, more?

The Bloom number is a measure of the stiffness of the gel under standard
conditions. Based on the evidence I have at this time, the bloom number
probably determines the fragility of the gelatin layer during the wet
processing stages. Once you have a dry film, I don't think that the bloom
index is particularly useful.

> I use a 120 to size my paper and it's REALLY hard enought. And for this
> process?
> thierry

It isn't clear to me that bloom is a measure of the hardness of the
gelatin film. I think that you are correct in saying that a dried film of
120 bloom gelatin is hard enough. Once you've wetted it with the carbro
solutions it might be a little bit soft though.

Try it and let us know ...

- Wayde
  (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)