Re: silver-mirror printing and more

Wayde Allen (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 11:51:16 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Judy Seigel wrote:

> Checking the Silver Mirror "Update" in the latest Photo Techniques, I note
> again that the process is recommended for Kodabrome RC grade 4. The update
> seems to refine the "Silver Mirror" formulas & instructions (nothing on
> the Chromsekadasic). But what I'm STILL wondering is why that instead of
> the SS toner, which works on any paper, any grade, including (especially)
> fiber based, *no fail*. Am I missing something? (True, not everyone has
> this article from P-F #3, but many do.... Was it the Aqua Regia fumes what
> done 'em in?)

I doubt your missing something. I simply saw the article on the Silver
Mirror printing and thought it sounded interesting. I guess I just hadn't
yet heard about the SS toner (haven't had time to read all of P-F #3 yet).

> But Wayde, my impression of the Chromoskedasic color effects -- and some
> related effects Pierre Cordier used to get -- is that they are
> *enormously* variable according to the paper and the rest of the sequence.

That sounds about right, and this seems to be corroborated by my 4 hours
or so experience with it.

> Whether that can be laid out in a chart of what causes what... I wouldn't
> count on it...

I think you misunderstood. While I think it would be nice to have nice
neat chemical formulae describing the reactions, I don't think this is too
likely, at least not immediately. What I was getting at was that the
author in Scientific American noted that he simply experimented with
various combinations of commercial darkroom chemistry until he found ones
that gave him the chromoskedasic effect. These happened to be the Kodak
Activator and Accelerator (I always forget the numbers so have omited
them). What I'd like to know is what chemical components in these mixes
is important and which ones are not? It might be possible to formulate a
chromoskedasic developer recipe that could be mixed from bulk chemicals
rather than relying on proprietary products.

- Wayde
  (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)