Re: EDTA FOR CLEARING PT/PD PRINTS

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 05 Jul 1999 16:12:16 -0400

> Bob Kiss wrote:
>
> DEAR PEOPLE,
> As EDTA comes in two "flavors" tetra sodium salt (recommended for
> clearing PT/PD) and disodium (not mentioned in the lit I have), must
> we use the tetra sodium salt or can we use the disodium flavor? If the
> disodium "parfum" is acceptable, must we change clearing solution
> concentrations or clearing times?

Bob,
I would strongly recommend testing the clearing of any paper clearing
solution combination. A testing technique is presented in the guide on
my web site (link below).

Times and chemicals will vary for different papers.

To this day I have not witnessed a successful clearing of a Pt/Pd print
using EDTA alone.
Testing is rather easy and cheep.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias