Where can I get the contrast!?

Adam Kimball (akimball@finebrand.com)
Mon, 05 Jul 1999 15:10:58 -0700

Hi all,

I have no idea why, but since I began alt stuff a number of years ago,
I've compulsively taken pictures of subjects that have a stop, or two of
contrast. Every so often, I'll meter a scene and be amazed to read
three or even four (!) stops of contrast - but this is all too rare for
me. Maybe, I'll simply have to start making silver gelatin prints
again... maybe someone who has spent time with this problem can give me
a pointer or two..

I'm having my best luck right now with FP4+ developed in Rollo Pyro in a
Jobo. Yesterday, I processed a few negs (the original scenes all had >2
full stops contrast) for a whopping 14 minutes at 22C. They are just at
the edge of being useful to me now.. I'll give a go up to 16 or 17
minutes next round, but expect to see overall fogging setting in soon.

Increasing the stain might be another avenue. Maybe PMK used in the
Jobo might yield more stain? Any thoughts on that? Most of the
subjects I shoot stay around for years, so I'd rather reshoot than do a
pyro redevelopment or make copies (dust, pinholes, newton's rings,
etc...)

Any ideas for that elusive N+++ or N++++?

-Adam