Re: When in Santa Fe...

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Tue, 06 Jul 1999 09:42:46 -0600

Thanks Judy!

I met Galina at the Bath APIS in 1997. Although she did not bring or show
here work there, one could not help being impressed by her. She is indeed a
remarkable person and the reputation of the quality of here work preceded
her. There are a number of people who have signed up and are coming
primarily to see here work and hear her talk. I too am anxiously waiting to
see her presentation.

I think we lucked out! When the fee for registration is as low as it is,
one does not have to be a math genius to see that it is impossible to fund
speakers. All of the speakers are coming on their own hook. In a sense it
is great because it becomes a communal effort.

We are having speakers coming from all over the world: Galina from Norway,
Maija McDougal from the UK, Helcio Jose De Paula Magalhaes from Sao Paulo
Brazil and Martin Becka from France. We lost a bunch due to the fact that
their grants did not come through.

We are in the last minute panic stages of getting ready as one could
imagine. It is hard to imagine the work that goes into something like this.

Gotta run. I have to go uptown and check and see if the Portugese
translator for Helcio is still coming!!! Little things like that...

--Dick

At 08:20 AM 7/6/99 -0400, you wrote:

>We've been so busy enjoying the 112 degree heat I didn't get this
>message online as soon as I'd planned. (Well it was actually only 100
>degrees F yesterday. Figuring in the humidity, they said, made it FEEL
>like 112.)
>
>Hoping this isn't too late for those going to Santa Fe, I repeat a message
>I sent to the History of Photography list 2 days ago. The occasion was
>some aspersions (if you could believe !) cast on the alt-photo-process
>list.... The general topic was "non-silver publishing" and a good
>"non-silver book" -- my comments were primarily about the *drastic* change
>in that field since the Internet (I'll post them here in due course, too,
>since you insist), but I concluded:
>
>The "alt-photo-list" has been an incredible source and stimulus of
>information, but also a remarkable social arena .... It has certainly
>brought fine friends into my own life from around the world.... In fact,
>Galina Manikova, a remarkable alt-artist and photographer from Russia by
>way of Norway is here now -- on her way to APIS in Santa Fe. If going to
>that event, do NOT miss her talk and her delightful self.
>
>I'll add now that Galina's work is among the most innovative and
>commanding I've seen in the field -- in any contemporary field for that
>matter. So don't decide that a good time to catch up on your laundry or
>the hometown news would be during her talk. Also, get a look at her
>digital video camera (more precisely perhaps her new digital appendage) !
>You'll want one.
>
>And for those who can hang around in Santa Fe until the 16th, another
>remarkable "alt-photographer" is opening at the Santa Fe Museum. French
>pinhole photographer Laurent Millet's "Petite Machines and the Windtraps"
>will be there for 6 months starting July 16. This show in NYC April-May
>was the best I saw all year. (Page 24 Post-Factory #3, "Tea and Selenium
>via Camera Obscura, made in France.")
>
>PS: Carl, Galina has your issues.
>
>Judy

> | Judy Seigel, Editor >
> | World Journal of Post-Factory Photography > "HOW-TO and WHY"
> | info@post-factory.org >

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857
<http://www.bostick-sullivan.com>http://www.bostick-sullivan.com
http://www.workingpictures.com