Re: preservative for gum arabic

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 06 Jul 1999 11:34:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Wayde Allen wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, Judy Seigel wrote:

> > formaldehyde, glyoxal, among others no doubt...
>
> Just out of curiosity wouldn't the formaldehyde and/or glyoxal cause some
> hardening of the gum? What about Thymol?

Wayde, I don't know how much of either it would take to harden gum arabic,
I doubt it would do it at all. Remember that the gelatin is only hardened
by these once it's become solid -- put them in liquid gelatin & as long as
it's warm it remains liquid.

However, 2 drops per ounce is NOT going to do it anyway.

Judy