Re: laser vs inkjet

Garet Denise (garet@rmi.net)
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 21:40:51 -0600

Just back from APIS. It was really wonderful to see so many other people's
prints in person. Most of the presentations were great, but for me (having
been working in a vacuum) seeing prints first-hand was the best part.

Now a few comments about printers. I, too, am still pondering the purchase
of a printer to generate digital negatives. Here's my 2-cent's worth:

>There's also the nuisance of the thing getting dried up or whatever it
>does if you don't run it every week,

I travel for weeks or months at a time for work, so this is a great concern
for me also. My understanding from several people is that this is simply
not a problem with the Epson printers.

>The laser negative on paper
>has problems -- must be very carefully waxed and even then can offset.

and

>I did think of using the backlight film, but at that cost, you may as well
>use contone film.

I tried paraffin wax and mineral oil on laser prints on standard office
paper. Both were about the same as far as ease of use. I definitely still
saw "grain" in a gum print from the paper negative when it was waxed, plus
the mineral oil was slightly faster (maybe 1/2 stop). I also have a sample
of output on the backlight film from a friend's printer which is rather
disappointing. Using Burkholder's 'rust' color output for spectral density
the output bleeds heavily in the denser areas. Quite unusable.

For now I plan to continue to 'steal' prints at work on laser printers
until the best direction seems more obvious. Then again, the price drop on
the inkjets is tempting.......

Garet Denise
garet@rmi.net