Re: Grams to Grains

Sil Horwitz (silh@iag.net)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 14:23:52 -0400

At 1999/07/14 09:51 AM -0600, ken wrote:

>Does anyone have the conversion for Grams to Grains or the other way? My
>scale is in grains and in chemistry it is grams / milligrams.

Empirically, I have always converted by using 1 gram = 15 grains. Not exact,
but the quantities in most photographic formulas aren't that precise, either.

To save frustration, I'd recommend you get a new scale - prices on electronic
digital scales (which are wonderful to use) have dropped to where they are very
affordable. The really great feature is the automatic tare setting, and even
some of the less expensive ones have provisions for reading in grams or ounces.

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
silh@iag.net
silh@earthlink.net