Re: Bulbs

Eric Neilsen (e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 16:45:43 -0500

Bill et la,

I have been off list since beginning of June and I digging through the list. I
have not run exhaustive test on the BLB, BL and SA, but I hope to run some while
I'm home. The BLB bulbs/tubes do require more time and I have seen the extra
time required change from 20% more to 100% more. They do also cost more but
perhaps 1.5 times as much. Remember prices change and anything is possible,
even B&S lowered their palladium prices. BLs work fine for platinum and gum. I
have run some prints (50, some 20x24) with SAs and they do print with more
contrast. I have yet to make test from the all the lamps with the same
chemistry and other elements (RH, PAPER, etc.) factored in. When I have time
I'd be happy to share those results.

As for John Rudiaks' comments with Davids' light system, he failed to include
that DMK uses (or did, he was including that info years ago in light information
post) the ice cap ballast. There was some discussion of these a little while
back. they do increase light output, but shorten bulb life.

I also have many spectral outputs of NuArc lamps. With so many choices out
there, I recommend to go with what fits your pocket book. The BL lamps have
proven to be successful for many processes, and while they may not be the
fastest, they work just fine. If you can afford it, what the hell, buy a set of
each and a plate burner to boot!

just some musings from Dallas

EJ Neilsen

--