musing about digital negatives

Lukas Werth (werthlvk@zedat.fu-berlin.de)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 00:47:03 +0200

Hello all,
having been away for a week, and having downloaded all emails in the
pipeline, there is again a good deal of talk about digital negatives.
I have so far never tried them, nor do I intend in the near future, so my
question should be understood only as a mild theoretical interest,
something which I have been asking myself since some time, without really
bothering about.
Well, here it is:
I understand that digital negs print essentially only black and white,
albeit in very small dots. Now, the processes I am interested in (pt/pd and
chrysotypes)pay back my efforts and frustrations in exploring them by their
long, smooth tonal scale. Can this be reproduced with digital negs? Or, is
it not that the minute separation of tones get reduced to a finite number
of them? What about splits/shades of brown?
I would be very interesting to see what digital does to chrysotypes and
their different colours.
Just musing,
Lukas