Re: WAXING PHILOSOPHICAL

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 09:40:20 -0600

Just a reminder. In the old books they talk about dissolving beeswax in
benzene [ene] and applying this to the negatives. This was in the days when
my father used carbon tetrachloride to wash auto grease off his hands.
Benzene [ene] and carbon tet are serious carcinogens and should not be
used. In the old days they didn't know the serious implications of using them.

Benzine [ine] is another name for kerosene and from my experience does not
dissolve wax nearly as well benzene. The similarities in spelling and
pronunciation make these two chemicals seem alike when they are not.

--Dick Sullivan

At 07:54 AM 7/15/99 +0000, you wrote:
>I tried the Renaissance wax some time ago on laser printer negatives and
>found it unsatisfactory. To the best of my recollection the problem was
>that it didn't penetrate the paper but just sat on top of it, adding a
>dull luster but not rendering the paper transparent.
>Katharine Thayer
>
>Bob Kiss wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone considered trying Renaissance wax or Micro-crystaline (available
> > from Tallas in NYC) wax softened with benzine to wax the backs of their
> > paper negatives. I haven't tried it but it seems easier than heating prints
> > with an iron and they are both archival waxes. They were faves of Adams for
> > waxing silver gelatin prints...I do that here in Barbados to prevent fugial
> > growth due to the humidity of Island air.
> > Anyhow, might be a worth a try. I haven't yet used paper negs so I
> > haven't had the opportunity. Let me know of any attempts.
> > CHEERS!
> > BOB
> KISS

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857