Re: Where can I get the contrast!?

DAVID duBUSC (FOTODUBUSC@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 10:46:42 +0000

Edward Meyers wrote:

> Have you tried using one of the Heliopan power-line filters? Ed
>
> On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Dan Koons wrote:
>

> > tech pan would be even better if it wouldn't show the power lines or
> > poles:) dan

> > tone.
> > >
> > >I have tested Kodak Tech Pan film in the past and found a serious
> > >drawback. In comparison with Kodak Tri-X, I made an image with power
> > >lines in the distance (4x5 size, developed with HC-110). With a loop,
> > >the detail in the Tech-Pan looked better and the Tri-X looked grainy.
> > >However in the Pt/Pd contact prints, the power lines were clearly
> > >visible from the Tri-X and about disappeared from the Tech-Pan. This
> > >has something to do with the grain producing sharpness, transfer
> > >functions, mathematics, and science. Bottom line is: I would recommend
> > >against the use of Tech-Pan film for Pt/Pd printing.
> > >
> > >--
> > >Jeffrey D. Mathias
> > >http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/
> > >
> > Dan Koons
> > Southwest Medical Center
> > Radiology Department
> > PO Box 1340
> > Liberal, Kansas 67905
> > 316/629-6286
> > Fax: 316/629-2435
> > E-Mail: dkoons@pld.com

I have tested this filter extensively and have had excellent results.
I have nothing but praise for the Heliopan power line series
To my great suprise and pleasure, I found that the doubling up of this
filter yields excellent results when the heavier more intrusive 500KV
lines are present [with a filter factor of only 1/2 stop !]. Next I
will be testing this filter at 4x in an effort to eliminate those damn
pylons. Ah, the pleasure of a grain-free / wire-free print.
This filter has been a boon to my work for both the Sierra Club and the
utilitiy companies.

Regards from the wire-free field,

David