Re: laser vs inkjet

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 12:44:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Wayde Allen wrote:
> > I cant think how you could be using this to seal jam jars, and also what
> > is the purpose of sealing them? The high sugar content of jam ensures
> > the jam stays preserved for a year or more.
>
> That is true, however the sugar is hygroscopic and will absorb moisture
> from the air. A little water, sugar, and the added food value of the
> fruit and pectin makes a nice culture medium for mold growth on the
> exposed surface even though the bulk of the jelly is relatively well
> preserved.

Indeed, and in 60 years (more than 60 !) of jam making, I've hardly had a
batch didn't lose at least one jar to mold... The remaining jam might not
kill you, but gets an off taste. The trick is to clean the inside edge
carefully -- get off all the jam so the melted paraffin makes a tight seal
with the glass, preventing entry of air.

However, the new Ball jars with the 2-piece lids are MUCH better, easier
to use and I've never had one spoil. The lid part has a rubber gasket,
just lay it on top of the nearly full jar of jam. As the jam cools, air in
space contracts, pulls the lid down tight (partial vacuum). When cool, you
screw the separate rim on tight.

True these jars aren't free like the scavenged empties we sealed with wax,
but they're not expensive and... like making a gum print, it's a labor of
love. Both, incidentally, make wondrous gifts. Men, women and children
will be your instant slaves.

My next message on this topic will be ON TOPIC, promise...

Judy