Re: laser vs inkjet

Wayde Allen (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 11:30:44 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Judy Seigel wrote:

> Indeed, and in 60 years (more than 60 !) of jam making, I've hardly had a
> batch didn't lose at least one jar to mold... The remaining jam might not
> kill you, but gets an off taste.

A little bit of mold isn't really a problem since as was pointed out the
sugar content of the bulk material is so high. Simply digging out the
mold is usually sufficient. Of course mold growth could always give off
flavors.

> The trick is to clean the inside edge
> carefully -- get off all the jam so the melted paraffin makes a tight seal
> with the glass, preventing entry of air.
>
> However, the new Ball jars with the 2-piece lids are MUCH better, easier
> to use and I've never had one spoil. The lid part has a rubber gasket,
> just lay it on top of the nearly full jar of jam. As the jam cools, air in
> space contracts, pulls the lid down tight (partial vacuum). When cool, you
> screw the separate rim on tight.
>
> True these jars aren't free like the scavenged empties we sealed with wax,
> but they're not expensive and... like making a gum print, it's a labor of
> love. Both, incidentally, make wondrous gifts. Men, women and children
> will be your instant slaves.
>
> My next message on this topic will be ON TOPIC, promise...

Indeed! It is homemade wine season too - yippee!

- Wayde
  (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)