Re: Limited editions

Peter Charles Fredrick (pete@fotem.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 19:08:04 +0000

Richard Sullivan wrote:

> http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/musings.htm

Katharine Thayer
Interesting essay. Those interested in the issue of limited editions in
photography should also look at David Vestal's column on the same topic,
titled "Rare or Well Done?" in the Jan/Feb 1997 Photo Techniques.

I agree completely with Dicks position on this matter of Editioning prints
at best it is a waste of talent if indeed the prints are never more to be
made made or the negs destroyed and at worst it is a plainly fraudulent
practice.

I use a method that does get around this issue to some extent I sign each print
then give it two dates. The year I took the picture and next to it the
year I made the print. Often an image is worked on again and again these
dates give the piece its own unique history which may or may not be of
value.

Pete

http://www.fotem.demon.co.uk/ To visit petes parlour gallery, there is now a
Guestbook !