Re: $$$$ how to price prints

Peter Charles Fredrick (pete@fotem.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 23:13:54 +0000

 Judy,

Absolutely absolutely. When a student asks my advice on whether to become
an ARTIST, I tell them if you think you can possibly have a fulfilled life
at something else, the answer is no. (I give the same advice about
parenthood.)

Don't be daft we all have fore filled lives both as parents and Artists

But all this talk about pricing awakens memory of my first gallery show,
practically prelapsarian, circa 1983. The prints I showed (in a "good"
Madison Av photo gallery, later moved to Soho, now defunct) were all 8x10-
inch silver gelatin, toned and solarized. They were priced low because I
was an unknown (a status I have by due diligence managed to preserve), at
$700 each. About half, however, were also painted -- figures added in
acrylic -- they were priced at $900
.
Good for you girl you should have got double

>>Pricing, promo, hype, reality, sales, investing vs. decorating, etc.
were discussed in a number of panels in the 1980s, dealers to some extent
letting down their hair in front of a mere 100 or so people at a CAA
convention, or Artists-Talk-on-Art, etc. The title of one I recall was
"How the Marketplace Gives Form to Art. (Several of these talk events are
in my anthology "Mutiny & the Mainstream: Talk That Changed Art,
1975-1990." That's a commercial if you like, but info is info.)<<

Oh dear,

>>You might say this is a different time, but the basic principles of
selling art are essentially the same... and the non-correlation between
sales and "the judgment of history" probably also. But of course we
won't know that -- unless we plan to watch the auctions from a cloud in
heaven, and I doubt they play that channel.<<

Yes I have got my cloud worked out how about you ?

cheers,

Pete

http://www.fotem.demon.co.uk/ To visit petes parlour gallery, there is now a
Guestbook !