Re: READING ABOUT PRICING

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 10:04:02 -0600

At 08:21 AM 7/22/99 -0700, you wrote:
> I have
>been under the impression for a few decades that limited editions needed to
>be accompanied by a "Disclosure" statement. Could not this include phrases
>like, "The photographer will make limited editions of 50 11X14s, 50 16X20s
>in silver gealtin but reserves the right to produce editions of no more that
>10 each in PT/PD (or whatever other alternative process). It is simply
>knowing what your options are, disclosing them clearly and honestly, AND
>THEM STICKING TO THEM.

This is precisely what I propose, but can you see any gallery making this
disclosure. My first thought as a buyer would be, "Hey this print isn't
limited at all. What's this all about?" I think limited should mean just
that. Twenty five or whatever prints period. No ifs ands or buts. I would
even propose destruction of the negative. How's that grab you?

Even more ticklish is post-mortem editions. If you don't clearly make it
clear in your will when your works goes to the Big Museum the game starts
all over. If your heirs sell your negs to an institution, it can print the
hell out of them. The agreement to limit was made by you and dies with you
unless some other arrangements are made.

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857
<http://www.bostick-sullivan.com>http://www.bostick-sullivan.com
http://www.workingpictures.com