Re: VAULT 'EM, DON'T BURN 'EM

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 08:41:35 -0600

Two years ago at APIS in Bath at the Royal Photographic Society, the
attendees took a Sunday bus trip to Lacock Abbey. We were in the Great Hall
and original Talbot negs were passed around for us to take over to the
window and look at them with transmitted light. I recall one of the staff
in a loud clear voice announcing "Does anyone have any more negatives to
turn in?" This was a "Royal" affair and things may have been handled a
little differently with just the everyday folk.

Other bizarre curatorial tales withheld to protect the guilty.

--Dick

At 09:52 AM 7/23/99 -0300, you wrote:
>At 4:02 PM -0600 22/7/99, Richard Sullivan wrote:
> >He eventually opened the case with his key
> >and let each of us put on the spectacles Lincoln wore the night he was
> >shot. I still get goose bumply thinking about it. Of course no sane museum
> >curator would do any such thing today.
> >

>You want insane curators, drop by the Victoria & Albert Museum's Print Room
>in London, sign in (no appointment necessary) look thorough the card index,
>request a print in their collection, like Strand and they bring you the
>storage portfolio with 20 prints or so and YOU can peruse them at your
>leisure, no gloves, no one looking over your shoulder, it's great....
>
>No pens allowed in the room though.
>
> \\\\|////
> ( O O )
>"I promise I shall never give up, and that I'll die yelling and laughing.
>And until then I'll rush around this world I insist is holy and pull at
>everyone's lapel and make them confess to me and to all."
>
> Jack Kerouac

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857
<http://www.bostick-sullivan.com>http://www.bostick-sullivan.com
http://www.workingpictures.com