Re: What the ???

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 09:32:18 -0400

jamiehy wrote:
> ... If you set up a camera in front of a bunch of photographers, and they don't
> know it, you are going to get those questions. If you pull out a bunch of
> your prints, then people will explore the question "WHAT KIND OF
> PHOTOGRAPHER ARE YOU?". You made that choice. ...
> if you want to talk photography, pull out prints, not a camera,
> and if you pull out a camera, expect those questions. Jamie

Jamie,

Don't try to console me. REAL photographers don't ask those
questions. Real photographers are interested in the art of
photography. As you so eloquently put it, techno-weenies have trouble
getting past the technical stuff.

The choice I made was to make a photograph, that's all.

And don't give me the "pull out the prints" thing. The same gibberish
questions abound. I brought some technical prints to APIS to discuss
some technical points. I also brought some of my work. I'll have you
know that not one person asked about the ramifications of folding an
image along a chosen axis. I doubt that all understood what I was
doing, so why not some questions. I feel a good number of people just
wanted to enjoy looking and not talking. However, only a couple of
people bothered to change the position of a screen. Note: the screens
cannot be understood without folding them.

I also brought some prints on fabric. I fielded several questions on
coating the fabric. But only one person asked why I printed on fabric.
Well I guess that's good that at least one person asked.

As I see it, the techno-weenie thing is a sort of double edged sword.
On one side I have to be annoyed by the dribble. On the other side I
find it more challenging to find peer discussions, but don't have to
worry about an overwhelming population of artist.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/