Re: Paper changes - was - I'm Blue Over My Cyanotype!

Hamish Stewart (hamish.stewart@wanadoo.fr)
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 19:51:16 +0100

SNIP

>Papers change, a lot. Stonehenge at one time gave me great results.
>Recent batches had either too little sizing or gave uneven, almost
>grainy, results.

Interesting what you say. I had this problem around 8 years ago with
strathmore papers that I had used for gum prints for around 3 years (at
the time) After successfully using this paper, unsizing for making
multiple gum prints - something changed. All my other variables remained
relatively constant. Working space, gum, pigments and time of the year.
So it seemed that something had changed. Nowdays I size all paper, and I
notice the differences between various papers. Your comments remind me
how little I really know about paper and at the same time how important
this issue is. Yes papers change - a lot, and us poor alt process people
have to second guess the manufacturers. I am also reminded of a comment
about there being no such thing as a good wine - there are just good
bottles. Paper can a bit the same...:-)

Cheers

Hamish

Hamish Stewart