Re: Begging a responce

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 11:35:53 -0600

<snip>

Yes there is  a great deal of freedom in not selling anything. However we
all need the approval of our peers to a greater or lesser extent, and who
has the sheer naked courage to know that what they are doing is right,
without some sort of acknowledgment  I know I do not ,perhaps having this
courage is the measure of true genius ? I think our old Will Shakespeare
had it right  " to thine own self be true "

Pete

http://www.fotem.demon.co.uk/ To visit petes parlour gallery,  there is now a
Guestbook !

Beautifully said Peter!

Bruce Barnbaum and I (later just me) ran a critique night at Soho Cameraworks Gallery in Elay. Anywhere from 5 to 50 people would show up depending on the weather and World Series on TV, etc. We would often go to 1:00 a.m or later. Not all brought prints.

Soho-Cameraworks's (later named Cameravision) mission was to be a teaching gallery. It was here emerging artists could have shows, receive criticism, and learn what were the roles of galleries, photographers and the public. It was a very honest and supportive group, but it was surprising how many would show up with prints and when the critique started they  go into complete denial.

Some typical responses:

"I don't want to talk about my work. It speaks for itself."
---"Then why are you here?"
"Nobody will ever notice (the creases in the print) (the dirty matt) (the out of focus corners) (the spots.)
---"I just did!"
"I don't care what anyone else thinks about my work. I only work to: (express my art,) (seek my true inner self,) (discover the meaning of it all.)
---"Then why are you here?"
"I don't care if anyone ever buys my work."
---"So you enjoy working as a (messenger boy) (receptionist) (bank teller) and would not trade that job for one traveling around the world taking pictures and working in your studio and darkroom.?
"Money only will corrupt my art."
--- "And how much are you asking for that print?"
"If I talk about it, it will ruin the artistic experience. Art cannot be expressed in words."

        ---"Keep talking, I'm listening"

"I'd never show my work in a gallery."
---"So no one's accepted your work yet."
This was in the late 70's and early 80's when there was a great deal of excitement about photography as art.

--Dick

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857
http://www.bostick-sullivan.com
http://www.workingpictures.com