Re: Need some advise on making a contact printing light for alt process

John Richardson (jrplatinum@earthlink.net)
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 20:25:36 -0700

I use 8 4' (40 watt) uncoated Sylvania type BL tubes. They are spaced
just far enough apart so that I can get my fingers in between to change
them. My negative is located approx 6 inches from the tubes. Average
exposure times on HP5 plus are between 6 and 10 minutes with this
setup. By the way, decreasing the distance from 15 inches to 6 inches
made no difference in the exposure time. There is no advantage to using
the coated blacklight tubes. They are only more expensive. Read "New
Dimensions In Photo Imaging" or Nadeau's platinum book for plans on
building such a unit. Fluorescents will be less contrasty than point
light sources such as carbon arc or mercury vapor.

Good Luck

John Richardson