Re: With all the talk from the listminders

Don Bryant (dsbryant@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 00:08:09 -0700

Richard,

> Pardon me, it is NOT difficult. There are two addresses, one for posting
> messages to the list and one for sending commands to the machine. Many
> mailing lists use software like this to avoid having machine commands
> retransmitted to everyone.

It seems to me if this were so clear there would not be so many people
sending "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the body of their message. By difficult I meant
that the server should be a wee bit more forgiving. After all aren't there
some list servers where all that is required to subscribe is to place the
phrase subscribe alone on the subject line or as a single phrase in the body
of the message? So why not unsubscribe? And not all users are as computer
savy as some of the experienced users. I think we tend to forget that,
computers -- software should be easy and intuitive to use. Whats wrong with
a more intelligent list server? With all of the frigin spam mail that
everyone gets I think the poor end user should be able to make a minor
mistake once and a while. Maybe Al Gore needs to promote a new Internet Bill
of Rights. No more oppressive list server rules!

> Anyone who is a member of a mailing list should keep the message sent to
> them when subscribing with the addresses and commands in it for
> un-subscribing. Keep both addresses in your address book with a note as to
> which is which.

Which I do. Obviously not every one does. Even though the initial mail sent
to subscribers clearly states this, many people are prone to forget this
admonishment months or minutes later even if they do file it away.

> Eudora has a place in its address book for remarks which can include a
> note of the commands needed.

Not everyone uses Eudora.

Don Bryant