Re: something else???

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 10:49:24 -0400

Ed,

It's always wise to get a release if you can. If one's approach to
"street shooting" is thoughtful and respectful it's often quite easy. If
photography is done so it resembles a drive-by shooting, releases aren't
going to happen.

In my experience shooting for magazines since 1972, no editor has ever
been sad to see a model release, though plenty of pictures, mine
included, get published without them. Having spent a lot of my life
"street shooting" starting in 1962 I've often found it easy to get
releases, especially when giving people prints of themselves on my tenth
or maybe hundredth visit to a neighborhood. OTOH, one time when I got
run out of town by the local drug crew, I didn't try to get
releases...or snap any shots on my way out.

But this is getting pretty un-alt. I always print this sort of work
silver-gelatin.

---Carl