RE: sodium metaborate, to make?

John Melanson (john@audiologic.com)
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 14:14:19 -0600

As an example, for a pH aproximatly (very crude) halfway between borax and
meta, add half the NaOH.

For a more accurate analysis, us a ph meter or there is a table in the CRC
chemical handbook. I think it's under standard buffers, or some such
heading. But for photo use, borax with more hydroxide added makes higher
pH, and borax with boric acid makes lower pH. It can be tuned, and is very
reproducable. Borax is a great buffer because it can "soak up" a lot of
acid or base without huge swings in pH. This allows continous tuning of a
developer speed, and is far more stable than changing the dilution of the
alkali.