Re: Freestyle dupe film or SO132

garimo (omirag@cruzio.com)
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 11:26:42 -0700 (PDT)

>Aloha Mac and All,
> If you are on a budget you probably don't want to hear this. I have used a
>pack of Kodak SO132(direct duplicating) that runs about $4 per 8x10,(no
>larger sizes available) with some good results. It is SLOW, exposures
>running about 10-15 minutes from my 2.25" negs, development time is also
>long, 10-15 minutes in paper developer. I have had better luck with the
>SO132 than the Lawless Litho reversal process, unfortunately considering the
>sizes available and the $$$ difference. I can't seem to get a good range
>with the litho, the mid tones come out flat. Whereas just about every neg I
>have printed on the SO132 is printing well.
>Any other experiences out there with the SO132?
>Good luck, Jeff
Hello,
My limited experience has been to develop the So132 in HC110 at about
1:15. The results seem to be a much shorter exposure time and faster
developing time than you mentioned. Also the contrast seems a bit lower
with more detail than what is achieved with paper developers.
 My enlarged negative for the cyanotype magnolias in the traveling
portfolio B was made with this film.
 So132 has sofar for me been the fastest, easiest and way most
expensive way of making large negatives...not considering the cost of
large format cameras & lenses.
 Another less expensive way is...take your small format negative to
your local lab, let them make you a same size positive for around $3.00
and then use it to print on to a film like the Kodak fine grain
positive film 7302, which is much, much cheeper than the So132 and also
is available in sizes larger than 8x10.
So many possibilities.
Garimo