Re: Tolerance? Re: What the ???

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:12:26 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 Fulload@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 23/07/1999 1:08:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net writes:
>
> << The point is that I really expected something a bit different from folks
> involved with alt-photo, after all they are a bit different from the
> typical public. What is so unusual to an alt-photographer about using a
> 4x5???
> >>

> Jeff...
>
> I think that the point you may be missing is that not all of us involved in
> alt-photo may be as far along in the learning process as you, or some of the
> others. Does that make us any less valuable? I sincerely hope not.
>
> While I realize that it may well be inconvenient to take the time or effort
> to answer what might at the moment seem to be an insignificant or inept
> question, how well esteemed will it make "you" look in the end? Patience
> truly is a virtue. (As a mother of five I can tell you that there are times
> in which it is in short supply...)

Ginette, you sound like a wonderful mother -- giving your children (five!,
5 lucky kids I bet) the benefit of the doubt ... and benefit of the doubt
to Jeffry, too.

I confess, I don't always manage that (maybe it's something geographical
-- being a New Yorker). Which is to say, BESIDES my failings as a parent,
I didn't take Jeffry's complaint at face value. Cynical perhaps, but my
thought was that when someone walks into a nest of photo-process junkies
and sets up -- imagine! -- a view camera in their midst, and then
pronounces himself "disgusted" by questions about it -- well I figured you
didn't have to be William Shakespeare to say the gentleman protesteth too
much. My hunch was sting operation. (Still is.)

What a "real photographer" would never do (seems to me) would be walk up
to a person on location with a view camera and ask them to explain their
"art." Feh!

Judy