toning cyano. neutral

Gwen Walstrand (gwalstra@lib.drury.edu)
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:15:35 -0600 (CST)

I've seen several list postings regarding different toners for cyanotype to
acheive a variety of colors, none of which produced exactly what I'd like.
I recently saw some cyanotypes toned in muratic acid (a very dilute
solution) that produced a blue-black, almost completely neutral image. Has
anyone tried this or any other toning solution that takes some of the blue
out?

One of my colleagues said I should just try platinum. Perhaps I should, but
the neutral cyanotype sound simpler and cheaper (although quite toxic). Any
thoughts or advice? Experiments with Van Dyke, and more recently Kallitype
II, have left me yearning for more consistent results and control. Cliff
notes anyone?

Gwen Walstrand