Re: toning cyano. neutral

Sam Wang (stwang@CLEMSON.EDU)
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 17:11:26 -0400

>One of my colleagues said I should just try platinum. Perhaps I should, but
>the neutral cyanotype sound simpler and cheaper (although quite toxic). Any
>thoughts or advice? Experiments with Van Dyke, and more recently Kallitype
>II, have left me yearning for more consistent results and control. Cliff
>notes anyone?
>
>Gwen Walstrand

Cheaper, perhaps, if you don't consider the waste of paper and time.
Simpler? NO WAY! It takes a whole lot more time, skills, tests, hair
to be pulled out, etc., if you are after high quality cyanotype,
especially when you start double coating. I doubt it would be any
simpler if you add toning to it.

For simplicity, go for platinum or palladium.

I know. I wasted the better part of two weeks trying to make good
cyanotypes from 12x20 negatives. Not only do I have a big waste
basket full of seconds, I even killed one of the negatives by trying
to print it before the paper was thoroughly dry. It was all because
someone at APIS wanted one of my cyanotypes...

Sam Wang