Re: Solarizations with Platine and Pt

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 10:58:58 -0400

Gary,

The problem is humidity, most likely. Platine likes to be printed very
wet. Crane Cover likes to be stored dry, with some humidification just
before coating. Humidifying Platine just before coating doesn't seem to
work well. I like both papers very much, but find they need such
different handling that I simply don't use them both in the same
printing session.

If your workroom is in a nice climate-controlled area with a humidity
around 50% and you are storing and printing the paper there, that's
exactly how I would expect Platine to behave. You'll have to put it in
a humidity chamber (I just raise the humidity of my whole darkroom the
night before printing on Platine) at 65-70% Rh. The
solarization/reversal will disappear like magic. Get rid of the Tween
too, it seems to cause nothing but trouble with this paper.

---Carl