Re: toning cyano. neutral

Gwen Walstrand (gwalstra@lib.drury.edu)
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 10:05:39 -0500

Thanks for all your advice on the various processes with neutral tones! I
am interested in trying ziatype or platinum/palladium but have been
printing 16x20 or larger. Perhaps I'll scale it down some for
experimentation with those processes. I like the Van Dyke images I've made
but have a LOT of trouble lately with consistency. Thanks for all the
recent heat-drying/air drying tips. I may give it one more effort with a
more controlled coating and drying method.

Judy,
I'm sorry I wasn't clear on that toxic remark. I don't mind working with
the cyanotype ingredients, just the muratic acid/hydrochloric acid dangers.
I did get a intensified blue when trying that toning method and some slight
bleeding from shadows that happened to tone down the highlights (only
noticable when comparing to untoned prints). After testing several
dilutions, I liked the untoned versions the best. Nothing against the cyan
color - it's just not quite right for my images. And the intensified, toned
blue was really too cold!

Thanks for all the help. Anyone want to sell me on Kallitype color versatility?

Gwen