Re: sodium metaborate, to make?

Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 22:30:14 -0400

Out of curiosity more than need (since I already have on hand over 10lbs of
sodium metaborate) I mixed up some Red Devil Lye and 20 Mule Team Borax at
the 1-5 ratio as recommended. About an hour later I noticed that the bottle
containing the mixture was very hot to the touch, and upon opening it,
discovered that the mix was lumped together and appeared to to be very
moist, as if it had absorbed a lot of water from the air.

What happened? None of the previous references to this brew mentioned
anything like this!

Sandy King