Safe transport...again (fwd)

Beakman (beakman@netcom.com)
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 16:18:46 -0700 (PDT)

> Listmembers,
>
> I am planning a trip to Europe and will be carrying some 4x5 film (ISO 100).
>
> I've never carried sheet film through airline security/customs ( I usually
> carry rolls and ask to have it hand inspected), and would appreciate
> comments on the safest, most efficient way to transport the film.

Two weeks ago I flew to London and back with 8x10 sheet film. I had a
total of 4 flights and was able to get the film paseed by without being
x-rayed all but once. It's easier if you set off with a factory-sealed,
unopened box of film. Coming back was a little more difficult.

4x5 film is small enough that you might be able to carry the box in a
coat pocket or under your belt (perhaps obscured by a sweater or jacket.
I assume that you'd be able to walk through the metal detector with it that
way (i.e. the foil packets wouldn't set off the alarm). Of course, you
could take the film out and discard the packets before your trip.

Good luck,
David Fokos