Re: Safe transport...again

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 08:08:09 -0400

Tom Hawkins wrote:
> I've never carried sheet film through airline security/customs ( I usually
> carry rolls and ask to have it hand inspected), and would appreciate
> comments on the safest, most efficient way to transport the film.

First, I have had film exposed at an airport. When leaving from the
Akron/Canton Airport (Ohio), I handed security a box of 8x10 film
(unexposed, the exposed was in film holders) and instructed them that it
was unexposed photographic film and could only be opened in a dark
room. While they were checking the rest of my gear, I turned around to
notice one of their less intelligent team mates opening the box. Yes it
was film. And yes, after notifying the supervisor, and getting a signed
statement, the security firm reimbursed me for a new box of film.

Second, I made some tests at the Tampa Airport by running several 4x5
Tri-x film (4164) (one piece per holder) through the machine different
number of times. After processing, I found that the film that made three
or more passes showed fogging. The security personnel were very
cooperative (it was during a slow period.) And yes many airports use
various settings for their machines but as the sensors become better
less x-rays are being use. That test was done in 1995.

Several things that may help:

+ I have taken 8x10 film holders and a piece of reject film (old
negatives are good for this) and demonstrated to the security personnel
(including supervisors) what these things were about 1 to 2 weeks before
taking a trip. Leave business cards and make sure its the crew that
will be working the gate you are leaving from. This worked well on my
trip to London because I avoided an x-ray at Tampa; had to change
terminals at Boston with almost no time so got x-rayed there; and had
only one x-ray coming back when leaving London. European and UK
airports are going to most likely x-ray everything and anything. But
only two times so it was OK.)

+ No one has ever wanted to open a film holder (not to say they
wouldn't). Even though they seem to always insist on being able to see
through the lens (open the shutter for them), they have seemed
unintimidated about a flat film holder, even twelve of them. Go
figure??????????

+ Do not depend on the poor excuse of a lock on film holders. The
slides will vibrate open. Tape them.

+ Perhaps the safest, most efficient way to transport the film would be
to mail it or ship it. If sending film to the hotel or place one is
staying, it should be sent plenty of time in advance so that it is
there. Most hotels (and certainly friends) will hold the film for you.
For the trip back just mail it to oneself. I have not mailed film, but
I have mailed photographs when too much to deal with as baggage. Do
check in advance with customs officials from various governments as to
any interference they may cause. Remember that each government does it
their own way.

Additional thoughts:

+ Everyone, of course, knows not to depend on purchasing film wherever
they might go. On a trip to the Big Sir area I exposed my 24 8x10
sheets and wanted some more (12 holders are enough to lug around.) Yea,
you think one can get 8x10 film in Carmel or Monterey. Think again,
it's got to be ordered.

+ Another method might be to wrap the film boxes in lead and just let
them go through with everything else. However the bigger the package,
the more suspect.

+ Never put anything of value in checked baggage when going from, to,
or through Miami, FL.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/