Re: Limits of Grayscale/Printer output

Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 10:02:33 +0000

Nick Makris wrote:

> Hello again,

[cut]
> When printing a bitmap, when/why/how/what does one do to apply the >proper
>number of colors (posterizing) to create maximum resolution on output to the
>printer or is there a meaningful consideration to be learned here?In other
> words, when using a bitmap to print to an inkjet printer are there any
> attributes associated with that type of file that will cause the printer's
> resolution to be limited to something less than its maximum resolution - or
> what is it about the bitmap that makes it work differently?

I was hoping Dan would handle this entire thread, but I'll butt in long
enough to say that in my experience there's nothing to be gained by
sending a bitmap file to an inkjet printer. You send your greyscale or
RGB file to the printer and the printer creates the stochastic output
automatically. All you need to do to prove to yourself that a bitmap
file isn't the best way to go is to try it once and see what happens. I
did it out of habit when I first switched from laser printer to inkjet
for my negatives; if my memory serves me right, it wasn't a pretty sight
and I've never done it again.

What's different about a bitmap that makes it work differently, is that
a bitmap file contains only one bit of information per pixel. It can't
"apply the proper number of colors" or do any other magic that can only
be accomplished with more information per pixel.

Katharine Thayer