Re: was: More on the limits of Grayscale now insight into howprinterswork

Darryl Baird (dbaird@flint.umich.edu)
Sun, 01 Aug 1999 09:27:53 -0500

This is a function of printer "spooling" -- taking a chunk of RAM (memory) to
send the file to temporarily while it processes the remaining "data". The
alternative is to give up your computer entirely while the file prints
slowwwwwwly out on the paper/film. It needs this extra RAM to do its work. Many
programs work this way, using more memory as needed, instead of hogging it until
you quit the application.

BTW, you need more memory-ALWAYS. RAM is expected to jump 20% next month.
Micron announced it expects to raise chip prices from 5-17% in August as
supplies drop to very low levels.

--
Darryl Baird