RE: Cyanotype Problem

From: Sam Wang (stwang@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Dec 03 1999 - 13:33:49 /etc/localtime

At 2:39 AM -0500 12/3/99, Judy Seigel wrote:

>As for "deeper blues," I don't know of a scientific test of same. There's
>no doubt that those "New" blues are intense, but the limited tests I've
>seen students do suggest that might as well be the *acid afterbath*...
>Which is to say, an acid afterbath with Old Cyanotype makes the blues more
>intense as well, but we never compared with the New, because no one
>was doing it.
>
>I'll add that big factors in the (old) blue intensity are the paper, the
>coating, the number of coats (double coating usually ups it a lot), and
>the drying (no heat). With all optimized.... might be a tossup. But for
>no-fail ease, less toxic, and less fussy paperwise, old is better.

My experience tells me this is exactly true. There is very little to
gain with the new cyanotype, especially now that I cut down the B
solution in half and gain quite a bit of speed with the simplest of
the "old" cyanotype formulas. There is no perceivable difference
between the two in D-Max or in color otherwise.

Sam Wang