Re: Sizing Gum Prints without Gelatin

From: Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Date: Fri Dec 03 1999 - 15:42:55 /etc/localtime

Sorry, but this is going to be "old memory" info! When I started
in gum printing (many years ago) I purchased a kit from
"Photographer's Formulary". At that time they suggested a
diluted solution of gesso.

Sorry, I can't remember the dilution, but it was something like 1
part gesso, 3 parts water??? Gelatin and glyoxal worked better:
less flaking, more saturated tones. But, perhaps if you played
with the dilution you could get it to work for you. There is
something in the far dark recesses of my memory that I was
playing with adding some acrylic mat medium to the mix. You
might try contacting the Formulary and see if they still
recommend this.

My memory is that I had to adjust the gesso ratio for each type
of paper. Too much gesso and I got flaking and pastel color.
Too little and I got staining.

Also, if your "personal reason" for wanting to avoid gelatin is
of the vegetarian type, try a layer of lightly exposed
gum/dichromate I have never tried this, have just seen it
mentioned on the list.

I found spray starches very poor due to staining. Papermaking
sizes (Herculon) also did poorly. Arrrowroot starch or one of
the wide variety of starches might work (I haven't tried).

Good luck.

--
Tom Ferguson
tomf2468@pipeline.com