Re: Glass for UV exposure frames?

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Dec 03 1999 - 18:50:31 /etc/localtime

Michael Mutmansky wrote:
> I believe most people use "normal" glass in printing frames for
> platinum/palladium printing. This may not be the best choice, since
> normal glass starts to block UV light at about 300 nm or so, and is only
> about 75% transmissive through the UVA range. Is there any point to
> trying to find a special glazing? If so, what would the glazing be
> (quartz ?)?...

Quartz will transmit UV better, as well as some other materials,
although at a significant increase in cost. Do as you like.

The more important concern is to have glass without optical defects
(window glass has plenty: waves, bubbles, etc.). Plate glass or mirror
glass (used for making mirrors) shouldn't have any defects and may be
the better choice, but may transmit even less UV because of their
thickness. For large contact printing frames one might consider
tempered glass.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/